Team Building Questions:
Aligning Your Team to a Shared Goal
These team building questions are great for business owners to use in a brainstorming session with their team so you can all work together to create and agree on a shared team vision.
is far more effective if the individual team members are involved in
creating the vision rather than just being told what the vision is by
the business owner.
This way they feel a measure of ownership that keeps
them more motivated.
Of course, the team has
to come up with a vision that the business owner also believes in but if you want your
team to help you achieve it, allow them to feel a sense of ownership by
making a contribution.
Where to start with team building in the workplace
Business Coaching Insight:
Unless you consciously pull them together your team will work towards their own agendas
These team building questions guide you through
a process that a business coach might facilitate for you.
The aim is to create a team identity
together and agree what behaviors the team wants to promote. It works
for both new teams and older established teams.
1) Team Audit – list of strengths and weaknesses as a team
- What do we do well as a team?
- What are our best assets as a team?
- What don’t we do so well as a team?
- How would we currently describe our team?
- How do we think other people would describe our team?
- How would we describe our team culture?
- Is our team culture productive – does it bring out our best?
- What gets in the way of our team being its best?
- What is the best thing about working in this team?
- What one thing could make the biggest difference to our team’s performance?
2) Team vision
3) Team mission
- What sort of team do we want to be?
- How do we want others to describe us?
- What do we want to be known for?
- What image, name or phase sums up how we’d like our team to be?
- How would a team like this behave and operate?
- What behaviors would be inconsistent with this vision?
- What behaviors won’t we tolerate in this team?
4) Team Behaviors
- Do our current behaviors align with our new team vision?
- What needs to change?
- What stops us from behaving like this now?
- What barriers could prevent us from achieving our team vision?
- How can we eliminate them?
- How can each individual align their behaviors to those agreed upon by the team?
- What behaviors do we need to keep, stop or start doing?
5) Team Building
- How will we keep strengthening our team culture?
- How will we keep each other accountable?
- What do we expect from each other?
- How can we support each other?
You don't necessarily have to ask every single one of these team building questions - they are listed here as suggestions. You also need to be flexible enough to follow the train of thought that your team chooses.
Business Coaching Questions:
- Is your team as strong as it could be?
- Are you willing to start fostering a supportive team spirit in your business?
- How do you feel about allowing your team to co-create a vision for your business?
Return from team building questions to team building
Go to the business coaching insights home page